During my recent career search, many attitude perspectives crossed my mind. The one perspective that continually resonated in my thoughts and spirit was gratefulness. I strongly believe that displaying gestures of gratefulness from a genuine place within, will serve you well as you network your way to your next professional promotion, career transition opportunity, or business connection. Below are my 6 tips that have ushered me to experiencing and accomplishing my desired career goals.
- Be grateful for your past and current professional lessons. During mediation and throughout my daily travels and conversations; I reflect and give thanks for my good, challenging, rewarding, and developmental career opportunities. All of my professional lessons have led me to promotional and leadership opportunities that continue to assist me in knowing when to be still and observe or take my hustle to the next level to successfully complete and accomplish a project, task, or goal.
- Be grateful to have access to knowledge. From a local, national, and global perspective not everyone has the opportunity to learn and/or develop industry skills through education or trade. I am grateful for the opportunity to have access to the resources to be able to advance in my chosen professional industry, reinvent my career, or be viewed as a credible industry expert.
- Be grateful that you qualify to apply. I enjoy observing people advance in their careers and businesses. It is great to know that you meet the requirements of being viewed as a qualified candidate when applying and being considered for your next career move, business venture that has specific credit requirements, or being invited to attend a networking opportunity that is for a select group of credentialed professionals. Humble beginnings that you respect and grow from will ultimately lead you to the qualifying moment that you have been focused on experiencing to the fullest during your professional career path travels.
- Be grateful for the support system of encouragement that you have. Life does not guarantee support for anyone. For some people, support embraces them because people want to honor their dedicated and consistent efforts of being focused and diligent to manifesting their desired career goals. Other people have had an ongoing support system that cheers them on in their success attraction endeavors simply because they’re friends, family, or respected colleagues. Whichever way support positively comes to you that keeps you encouraged and/or connecting to ideas and business opportunities, be grateful. There are some people who have no idea what it is like to have someone believe in them enough to take the time to cheer them on their success journey.
- Be grateful in knowing that your career search has a timeline. My career searches have had an ongoing reminder, nothing lasts forever. Eventually when you have acquired the skills, knowledge, connections, mindset shift, or image adjustment the career or business opportunity that you’re seeking reveals itself.
- Be grateful for the self-awareness your career search heightens in you. As a career coach, I have witnessed the career searches of many people notably crystallizes after they define who they are, their limits, and their flexibilities. Career searches also sparks creativity and re-ignites professional dreams that may have smothered down to embers. The great ‘aha moment’ is that your career search can direct you to realizing the time is now to shift and go full force to turning that professional dream into a daily reality.
Remember that our actions have a boomerang effect back into our lives. Today in the midst of your career search, I encourage you to the take to time to pay it forward by helping someone else in accomplishing their career goals. Send a thank you card to a mentor or simply take fifteen minutes out of your day to meditate and be grateful for another day to construct your career path of success.
Everyone has a desired career title that they would like to accomplish and feel that they are getting a return on their investment for their cultivated skills, professional development, and education to date. Depending upon your perspective of your career path, sometimes your dream career can be masked under a position title that initially seems to be unappealing to you. It is not always to your advantage to dismiss positions based upon their title without reviewing the potential position description on job boards or with recruiters and hiring managers. Your desired position income, experience, and benefits wish list can be one perspective shift away from being a reality for you.
Depending upon your industry each position you submit for will require a listing of professional and personal references. It is important to stay in touch with previous managers, mentors, and business peers that you had positive outcomes and interactions with professionally. Give them a call, send them an email, or reconnect with them through various social media platforms. Develop a reference listing that can be viewed as benefit for you.
Position Submittal Preparation
- Research and identify position descriptions that interest you versus the position title solely.
- Keep a current listing of contact details (i.e. phone number, email, website, and physical business address if applicable) of professional connections and previous employers.
During your career search journey it is important for you to take time to do something fun or spend time with people who you enjoy. Being consistent in your daily checklist is paramount to the success of your career search. It is equally important for you to restore your spirit and mind with sanity balms and soul motivators. Scheduling or being spontaneous to create cherished memories at one of your favorite venues can help you diffuse stress that can unfold during a career search. Reflecting with self or your inner circle of confidants leads to analyzing your attitude, replay of lessons learned, or re-strategizing your career search tactics.
“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
Time of restoration can often help reduce the feeling that you are carrying the world on your shoulders while being diligent in accomplishing your career search goals. Never give up on you career aspirations. Be proud of all of your career search efforts and enjoy the journey. How you journey through is a part of your life story.
Daily Refresher Activities
- A midday walk at a park
- A phone chat with a friend
- Attend a yoga class
Your social media footprint has the influence to open and close doors for you during your career search process and even after you become employed. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn are used by various industries as credible sources to recruit talent for career opportunities open in different professional circles.
Social Media Activities of Success:
Schedule 30 minutes to spend on LinkedIn connecting with former and current coworkers, managers, and mentors. Like postings of Industry Influencers, Connections, and Subject Matters Experts. Write at least one recommendation for a Connection and ask for a recommendation from a Connection. Look for jobs on Twitter using the hashtags for city, job, career, or jobchat. Post pictures of your product offering and/or service on Instagram. Make sure that your pictures are clear. List all of your contact details in Instagram bio.
Take the time to review each one of your social media accounts and ask yourself the following questions listed below.
- What does your social media say about you?
- What do you want your social media to say about you?
- What revisions do you need to make to your social media accounts to accurately represent your personal brand and/or professional theme?
- Do you need to expand your social media footprint?
Planning and launching a career search can spark a range of thoughts and emotions that have been ignited by a variety of personal and/or professional needs and ambitions. One of the most important things to remember during a career search is the power of words and keeping your career goals visible consistently. It is critical that one doesn’t speak negatively about any situation or outcome they encounter during their career search. In addition, to keeping a career goal reminder in a location that is often visited. Creating and viewing a vision board and repeating a career affirmation daily are great encouragement boosters during a career search . Your vision board and affirmation will help shift things to fall in order and manifest your career goals to a tangible reality.
Activity of the Day: Create a vision board displaying all desired career outcomes, professional relationships, company culture, goals, professional environment, income/salary, attire, and professional travels one wants to experience. Through photos, words of affirmation, stickers, and media clippings the vision board will be a motivational daily reminder for the career seeker and/or changer to place dedicated effort towards accomplishing their career goals.
What is your career excellence goal affirmation?
Example: I am a business subject matter expert that exceeds assigned metric goals quarterly and effectively executes training initiatives to team members.