by careertipper | | Blog
Your ability to speak the language of your chosen industry is important not only when interviewing but also when conversing with various industry professionals. Taking the time to learn your industry language including acronyms and jargon beyond the textbooks is essential to your professional success. Being able to effectively communicate as an industry professional will prompt other professionals to view you as credible and increase your confidence in your professional skills and knowledge.
Below are a few language development tactics that will help you evolve the fluency of your industry language.
- Listen attentively during business initiative launches and reviews.
- Read and notice the verbiage details from business meeting minutes, industry related periodicals and books.
- Study industry websites and the description of their services and products.
- View industry advertising campaigns through various media forums.
Your industry language versatility will permit you to communicate well with various levels of professionals while leading you through the path of becoming a verifiable industry subject matter expert.
by careertipper | | Blog
Taking the time to attend networking events during the week is beneficial to your career search. Networking events can be a fun way to develop your people skills, connect with industry professionals, and become actively involved in your local community. You can potentially locate networking event details through various professional associations and Chamber of Commerce offices. Leave your resume at home and take your business cards, optimistic attitude, strong handshake and cheerful smile with you to the event. Mingle well and add value to conversations you participate in. Aim to connect with at least three new professional connections before leaving the event.
For career changers, that may not be able to attend a networking event on a weekly basis due to their current work schedule. A similar networking strategy can apply to your LinkedIn engagement. Today accept the challenge to increase your interaction with current and potential connections to be noticed and considered for your desired employment opportunity. Review, implement, and execute the steps below on a daily basis. Leave a comment below and share your outcomes from this LinkedIn Engagement Challenge.
- Make sure all of your professional experience is well noted and listed on your LinkedIn profile.
- Upload a quality and clear photo of yourself solely. The background of your picture and your attire should be professional.
- Under the Interests tab start following five Influencers and post a comment. Commenting on posts by Influencers is a strategic way to be seen and potentially have your profiled viewed.
- Under the Jobs tab register to have email alerts sent to you daily or weekly.
- Review your connections listing. Comment or like any of their recent accomplishments, anniversaries, or posts that they have made. Giving recommendations is always a great way to give thanks or pay it forward when networking on LinkedIn.
- Search companies to identify employment opportunities through an advanced search by the categories of Relationship, Location, Industry, or Company Size. Send an InMail of interest or apply immediately for a position that interests you. LinkedIn gives you the option to make your career search activity private. Visit Settings for more details.
- Remember consistency is the key with all career search tactics.