A career search can cause you to experience a range of emotions that can sometimes lead to frustration. Career search frustration can encompass; the unexpected duration of your career search, interview outcomes, financial needs, and sometimes feeling unfulfilled with your current career path based upon multiple variables. To combat frustration, it is important for you to focus on the positive experiences and results of your career search to date and remain encouraged. It is within your ability to implement power filled thoughts, words, and planning fortitude when you need to overcome frustration.
“Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.” ~ John Quincy Adams
Below are a few ways to remain encouraged during your career search.
- Speak positive affirmations during each instance of frustration. Example: I will connect with an industry professional that will lead me to my employable opportunity.
- Push and encourage yourself to have a mind shift of perspective that will ignite you to re-strategize your career search if applicable.
- Do something that makes you smile and/or laugh.
- Seek advice from industry influencers.
- Display an attitude that is open to receiving constructive feedback that can help you improve your marketability and skills.
Do not let your fears choose your destiny. ~ Unknown
Be open to relocating to launch, change, or advance your career. Some people have reservations about packing up and moving to a new location. Others are eager to experience the new adventures a location change will bring. If you are on the fence about relocating for an ideal professional opportunity due to personal reasons; make a list of pros and cons. Set aside dedicated time the following day after completing the list to review each pro and each con listed. Timing is a significant factor when determining if a relocation can become a reality. If your personal foundational components are in order or can lineup quickly for you to elevate your career and create new adventures, accept the offer to relocate. A change of scenery can be an awesome opportunity in disguise for your career and your overall lifestyle.
During your career search journey it is important for you to take time to do something fun or spend time with people who you enjoy. Being consistent in your daily checklist is paramount to the success of your career search. It is equally important for you to restore your spirit and mind with sanity balms and soul motivators. Scheduling or being spontaneous to create cherished memories at one of your favorite venues can help you diffuse stress that can unfold during a career search. Reflecting with self or your inner circle of confidants leads to analyzing your attitude, replay of lessons learned, or re-strategizing your career search tactics.
“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
Time of restoration can often help reduce the feeling that you are carrying the world on your shoulders while being diligent in accomplishing your career search goals. Never give up on you career aspirations. Be proud of all of your career search efforts and enjoy the journey. How you journey through is a part of your life story.
Daily Refresher Activities
- A midday walk at a park
- A phone chat with a friend
- Attend a yoga class
Your daily routines and habits can lead you to experiencing your career goals and aspirations. Becoming impeccable with your words and dressing for the position you desire is imperative to your success.
Take time daily to frame the words you speak about your career search that you will express to others when networking. It is to your advantage to express gratefulness for your professional experiences and acquired knowledge during your conversations. Be prepared to share your lessons learned in a constructive and positive manner that will prompt one to connect with you and share their wisdom with you. Genuine professional connections that can be mutually insightful and informative should be the goal when networking.
In many professional environments how you dress is noticed and matters. Take your time to make sure the basics are covered daily. The way you take care of your clothes, hair, and overall appearance are noticeable basic details. Invest in quality and tasteful clothes and shoes that will represent you well for your industry that can transcend from a boardroom meeting to an after hours professional event if required.
Impeccable Action Activities of the Day
- In front of a mirror practice explaining your career outcomes to date in a positive manner. Pay attention to your facial expressions during the explanation. Emulate confidence versus frustration. Aim to avoid sounding like a victim of circumstances. Demonstrate accountability and share your career search plan summary in less than two minutes with a smile.
- Research current professional wardrobe must-haves and trends, and audit your closet. Identify which garments should be removed and donated. List what garments you need to add to your wardrobe that represent the position you desire. Set a deadline and a wardrobe budget for when the wardrobe updates will be complete.