Entitlement does not apply to most career promotional opportunities. You need to take the time to determine if you are promotion ready. After reviewing the checklist below; request face time if applicable with the hiring point of contact or decision maker and inform them of your interest in the position. If the career promotion that you desire is with your current company; be mindful that there are unspoken factors that may be considered during your potential interview process.
Promotion Ready Triggers and Unspoken Factors Checklist
- The professional company that you keep while at work is noticed. Focus on surrounding yourself with productive peers that operate in integrity that promotes positive energy.
- Your ability to be on time for your scheduled shift and appointments matters.
- Your social media brand is relevant. Review and decide if you need to reorganize your social media presence.
- The quality and accurate completion of your assigned projects by the designated timeline is being noted.
- Your attire matters. Go into observation mode and determine if you are currently dressing the part that the desired position requires and/or portrays.
- Your conversation indicates readiness. What does your message delivery style and tone say about you?
- Do you meet the qualifications required of the position?
- Has your thought process and mind-set shifted to the next level your potential promotion requires? Pay attention to the mannerisms of the those at the next level you‘re aiming for. Are your mannerisms in synch?
Set your timeline of completion to make the necessary shifts to be viewed as the best candidate for your next level position. You are capable and able to accomplish your career goals!
Your daily routines and habits can lead you to experiencing your career goals and aspirations. Becoming impeccable with your words and dressing for the position you desire is imperative to your success.
Take time daily to frame the words you speak about your career search that you will express to others when networking. It is to your advantage to express gratefulness for your professional experiences and acquired knowledge during your conversations. Be prepared to share your lessons learned in a constructive and positive manner that will prompt one to connect with you and share their wisdom with you. Genuine professional connections that can be mutually insightful and informative should be the goal when networking.
In many professional environments how you dress is noticed and matters. Take your time to make sure the basics are covered daily. The way you take care of your clothes, hair, and overall appearance are noticeable basic details. Invest in quality and tasteful clothes and shoes that will represent you well for your industry that can transcend from a boardroom meeting to an after hours professional event if required.
Impeccable Action Activities of the Day
- In front of a mirror practice explaining your career outcomes to date in a positive manner. Pay attention to your facial expressions during the explanation. Emulate confidence versus frustration. Aim to avoid sounding like a victim of circumstances. Demonstrate accountability and share your career search plan summary in less than two minutes with a smile.
- Research current professional wardrobe must-haves and trends, and audit your closet. Identify which garments should be removed and donated. List what garments you need to add to your wardrobe that represent the position you desire. Set a deadline and a wardrobe budget for when the wardrobe updates will be complete.