Entitlement does not apply to most career promotional opportunities. You need to take the time to determine if you are promotion ready. After reviewing the checklist below; request face time if applicable with the hiring point of contact or decision maker and inform them of your interest in the position. If the career promotion that you desire is with your current company; be mindful that there are unspoken factors that may be considered during your potential interview process.
Promotion Ready Triggers and Unspoken Factors Checklist
- The professional company that you keep while at work is noticed. Focus on surrounding yourself with productive peers that operate in integrity that promotes positive energy.
- Your ability to be on time for your scheduled shift and appointments matters.
- Your social media brand is relevant. Review and decide if you need to reorganize your social media presence.
- The quality and accurate completion of your assigned projects by the designated timeline is being noted.
- Your attire matters. Go into observation mode and determine if you are currently dressing the part that the desired position requires and/or portrays.
- Your conversation indicates readiness. What does your message delivery style and tone say about you?
- Do you meet the qualifications required of the position?
- Has your thought process and mind-set shifted to the next level your potential promotion requires? Pay attention to the mannerisms of the those at the next level you‘re aiming for. Are your mannerisms in synch?
Set your timeline of completion to make the necessary shifts to be viewed as the best candidate for your next level position. You are capable and able to accomplish your career goals!
“Energy & persistence conquer all things.” ~Benjamin Franklin
Demonstrating healthy habits during your career search will help you look and feel your best, while taking time to de-stress frequently. Your focus of re-strategizing your career path through education, coaching, or through a company change needs constant healthy living refueling.
Your career search sustainability will thrive when you take care of your body, mind, and spirit. Your healthy living refueling routine should play out in your life daily through positive words, encouraging reads, promotable actions, detailed planning, clean eating, satisfying exercise, and sufficient rest. Get clever with your healthy habits. Review and research social media and periodicals. Consult with friends and family for yummy recipes and fun exercise routines that you will enjoy implementing into your lifestyle. Your health habits will bestow great energy that will be noticed during your career search activities.
Healthy Living Suggestions
- Drink 6 – 8 ounces of water daily.
- Avoid emotional eating opportunities.
- Eat clean and healthy snacks and meals.
- Exercise at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes.
Repetition of your career search plan will be a constant requirement of you during your search. Take the time to determine each daily action item that you will commit to completing. At the start of your search, begin with small tasks and continue to larger tasks as your desired results develop and your confidence in your strategies increases.
The repetition of your career search plan is a great way to build and improve your time management skills, self-esteem, planning systems, and most importantly confirmation of your success mindset. Plan wisely. Your words and actions are framing your future daily. Remain focused and diligent on accomplishing your career goals. Make it a point to say your positive career affirmations as a part of your daily activities. Toss in stress busters that will help you deviate high emotions and tension that can be associated with you career search.
Career Search Strategy Plan Suggestion from Gregg Pollack, Technology Industry Influencer
Check out the link below to read Gregg Pollack’s awesome insight on ‘How To Land Your Dream Job’
Gregg Pollack’s Bio: Founder of Envy Labs, a web development consultancy, and Code School, and online learning platform for developers and designers. Aside from Starter Studio, Mr. Pollack founded the Orlando Ruby Users Group, BarCamp Orlando, and the Orlando Tech Events Newsletter. All initiatives to help build the Orlando Tech Scene.
A career search can cause you to experience a range of emotions that can sometimes lead to frustration. Career search frustration can encompass; the unexpected duration of your career search, interview outcomes, financial needs, and sometimes feeling unfulfilled with your current career path based upon multiple variables. To combat frustration, it is important for you to focus on the positive experiences and results of your career search to date and remain encouraged. It is within your ability to implement power filled thoughts, words, and planning fortitude when you need to overcome frustration.
“Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.” ~ John Quincy Adams
Below are a few ways to remain encouraged during your career search.
- Speak positive affirmations during each instance of frustration. Example: I will connect with an industry professional that will lead me to my employable opportunity.
- Push and encourage yourself to have a mind shift of perspective that will ignite you to re-strategize your career search if applicable.
- Do something that makes you smile and/or laugh.
- Seek advice from industry influencers.
- Display an attitude that is open to receiving constructive feedback that can help you improve your marketability and skills.
During your career search the desired end-result is to a secure a position in your preferred industry that is ideal for your career path. Your career search will often gift you many personal and professional lessons and beneficial resources. There is no need to be reluctant with sharing your acquired career search tips, insights, and professional networking leads that has not be designated as exclusive to you. Sharing your career search knowledge with others ignites positive reciprocation of specific industry knowledge that you need routed back to you.
Take time on a weekly basis to pay it forward in lives of others. Paying it forward in a non-boastful manner will fuel the spirits of gratefulness and thanksgiving within you. Incorporating this success strategy into your way of living will assist you in cultivating your leadership and communication skills. Encourage and celebrate others by sharing and helping them connect with information and industry influencers that will help them accomplish their professional goals as well as yours.